Simply Pure Living ~ 5 Steps You Can Take To Reduce Toxins and Create a Safe, Natural Environment For Your Family
As a natural, holistic mama, majority of what I put on and in my kids bodies is as natural and non toxic as possible. I am also realistic and I know that I cannot control everything that goes on outside of my home.
However, inside my home I can control what my kids are exposed to. I do everything I can to limit toxin exposure and create a safe and natural environment for my family.
Here are 5 stps you can take to limit toxins and create a safe, natural environment for your family:
1. No Microwave
When my husband and I got our first apartment many moons ago, our kitchen was pretty small. So we decided to hold off on getting a microwave until we knew how we were going to situate our small kitchen. Time went on and we did just fine with out a microwave so we never got one. A few years later when we bought our first home that had a bigger kitchen and can fit a microwave, I started researching the best microwave to get and instead I learned how dangerous they are.
- Microwaves emit radiation that is dangerous for human cells and tissue and can have hazardous long term effects. According to Dr. Mercola, people who have been exposed to high levels of radiation from microwaves can experience “microwave sickness”. Some symptoms include headaches, dizziness, swollen lymph nodes, weakened immune system and impaired cognition, just to name a few.
- Cooking and heating food in a microwave depletes foods of its nutrients and creates carcinogenic substances. Microwaves use electromagnetics to cook food from the inside out. It heats the water molecules inside the food which is the main reason why microwaves heat food so fast. This process rips apart food molecules and changes amino acids into toxic carcinogens that could cause nerve and kidney damage and even cancer.
We are now almost 20 years without a microwave and I do not miss it or have any desire for one.
If you have a microwave oven in your home, I strongly encourage you to limit it’s use or completely take the plunge and get rid of it all together. If it’s “part of” your kitchen and you can’t get rid of it now, use it as kitchen storage unit you can.
What you can do as an alternative to a microwave
- Instant Pot – a multifunctional cooker that cooks food quickly
- Air Fryer – fries bakes, roasts and grilsl with little to no oil quickly
- Toaster oven – I recently got rid of my toaster oven as I got a double oven that took its place, but before I had the double oven I used my toaster oven often.
- Stove Top – heat food the good ol’ fashion way.
Take the plunge and trash your microwave!
2. Avoid Fast Food
Growing up my mother always had a hot meal on the table and we all sat and ate dinner together like a family. I always appreciated this special family time and this is something I like to do with my own family. But with four kids and everyone’s busy schedules, we don’t get to do family meals as much as I would like. I know I am not alone on this one. So many moms are so busy with over booked schedules, there’s little time for a family dinner. How many times have your kids eaten dinner in the car in between activities? Minivans should come equipped with a cooler. #MealsonWheels
Fast food has become increasingly popular to keep up with our fast paced world. You don’t even have to get out of your car to get your kids a hot meal. No cooking, no mess and a quick meal on the go. But at what cost? I can count on one hand the number of times my kids have eaten McDonalds. I will get them the hot cakes on occasion, but going to the McDonalds drive through is not the norm for us. Would it make my life so much easier to pick up some yummy fast food for dinner? Hell Yeah! I grew up eating McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy’s and Kentucky Fried Chicken. We didn’t have it often, but we did have it. It was always a delicious treat that we enjoyed. I know my kids would love it and it would make my life a whole lot easier.
BUT… It has ZERO nutritional value. Fast food is loaded with preservatives, high in fat, and empty calories. Food is deep fried in a corn based oil, which is the most unhealthiest oil for human consumption. It’s high in saturated fat which is a known contributor to heart disease. Do you remember the pink slim debacle that was in McDonald’s hamburgers? McDonalds was using “pink slime”, lean beef trimmings treated with ammonia, to bulk up the meat products to get more bang for the buck, until they got called out on it in 2011. The crazy thing is the USDA approved the pink slime back in 2001. What else are they using in their food that we don’t know about? This thought turns my stomach and is why I don’t feed my kids fast food.
What’s a busy mom to do when they’re short on time and have to feed their kids dinner?
- As I stated above the Instant Pot and Air fryer are good alternatives. They cook food fast, it’s healthy and delicious. You can even
throw frozen food that you forgot to thaw in these babies. It can’t get any easier.
- Crock pot – prepare your meal the night before and turn on your slow cooker when you wake up in the morning and let it cook throughout the day. You will have a nice, hot, healthy, home cooked meal ready for dinner time.
- Make a bunch of sandwiches and have them readily available to take on the go. Make your own version of uncrustables by making PB&J sandwiches and freezing them. They thaw in 15 minutes making it a great on the go food.
- When you do cook, make double. Freeze the leftovers to have on a night when you don’t have time to cook.
I know there are times when you are mentally and physically exhausted, you are out of uncrustables and the last thing you want to do is go home and start preparing dinner. I get it! If fast food is a non negotiable one tired evening, choose a “healthier” fast food restaurant. Some of our favorites are Elevation Burger, Salsa Fresca or Chipotle. These restaurants use grass fed beefs, healthier cooking oils and more natural ingredients than some other fast food restaurants. Is it completely healthy? No, but it’s a better alternative.
My wish is that “healthier” fast food restaurants would open up. Maybe one day!
3. Buy Organic Food
Did you ever hear the saying you are what you eat? Our bodies function based on the fuel we are feeding it. When we fuel our bodies with foods that are riddled with pesticides, fertilizers and genetically modified organisms, we are harming our bodies. All of the toxins in conventional foods can lead to many of the common diseases we see today ~ obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer.
Organic foods have the most nutritional benefits as they do not have pesticides, fertilizers, insecticides and gmo’s like their conventional counterpart. The more organic foods that you can expose your family too the better.
Learning how to read labels and understanding what the ingredients are in our foods can be tricky, but it is also essential to making informed decisions on the foods you are buying for your family.
Here are some tips for when you are shopping in the supermarket
- Look for labels that say
- USDA Organic
- 100% organic
- If a labels says “Organic” then at least 70% of the ingredients are organic
- Buy organic produce from the Dirty Dozen List. These fruits and vegetables are contaminated with pesticide residue.
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Cherry Tomatoes
If buying 100% organic isn’t an option…
Get grass fed, free of hormones and antibiotics when buying diary and meats
Choose Free-Range, Pasture Raised when buying eggs
Opt for wild caught over farm raised fish, preferably locally sourced or from areas that are not highly polluted.
4. Water Filtration System
I’m a water snob, I admit it. I take my h20 very seriously. I spent almost 6 months researching the perfect water system for my family and my findings during this time made my stomach turn. The Environmental Working Group revealed that our drinking water is tainted with chemicals at levels that exceed health protective guidelines.
Here are some of the chemicals that are in our drinking water
- Fluoride – Fluoride is a known neurotoxin that is added to our drinking water in many parts of the United States as a way of improving tooth decay. The practice of “fluoridation” is considered safe and effective by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Studies show that fluoride is hazardous to our health Source
- Can cause brain damage
- Reduced IQ
- Impaired ability to learn and remember
- Neurobehavioral deficits
- Impaired fetal brain development
- Studies show that fluoride is hazardous to our health Source
Many water filtration systems Do NOT remove even a fraction of these toxins in our drinking water. Bottled water may be nothing more than an expensive version of tap water that leeches hazardous chemicals from the plastic.
So then how are we supposed to drink clean, healthy water?
I literally spent months searching for an answer to this question. Behold a water filtration systems that removes toxins and impurities ~ The Berkey Water Filtration System.
The Berkey water filter is classified as a water purifier because it removes 99.9% of pathogenic bacteria and viruses which exceed the standard. The Berkey can even filter untreated raw water from lakes, steams and ponds, making this system ideal for emergency situations.
It removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts, and parasites entirely and extracts harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222 and trihalomethanes, and reduces nitrates and unhealthy minerals such as lead and mercury. It can also remove food coloring from water without removing beneficial minerals.
click here for the latest lab test results.
It uses black charcoal filters that can purify 3000 gallons of water before needing replacement. You can also add on ceramic filters that remove fluoride and arsenic that need replacing after 1000 gallons.
My family uses the Big Berkey System, 2.25 gallon and it is perfect for our family of 6. We use two black filters and 2 ceramic filters that we replace yearly. We drink only water in my house and I use the filtered water to cook with as well. I fill the system 1-2 times per day and the supply works fine for us.
When my filtered water isn’t available, Mountain Valley in glass bottles is my next choice of clean water.
There is nothing more refreshing thank knowing you are drinking clean, pure, safe h20.
5. Non Toxic Products
Many household cleaners, shampoos, body soaps and lotions, even ones targeted for babies, have harmful toxic ingredients that are hazardous to our health. When my oldest was born 10 years ago, I really started gaining interest and researching the products I was using on her. When I learned that Johnson & Johnson baby products contained formaldehyde in products targeted for babies, I could not believe what I was learning. How could this trusted company who’s products are a staple in so many American households, use an ingredient that is used to preserve dead bodies? This was a huge wake up call for me and the start of my mission to find natural and safe products. Johnson & Johnson has since removed the toxic ingredient from their products but I no longer trusted the most trusted brand in baby care.
I began questioning everything and sure enough everything I knew to be true, was false. I felt lied to and I knew I needed to be my baby’s advocate and do what’s best for her. Now I only use products that contain safe ingredients from trusted brands and safe cleaning products.
I hope you found the content in this post valuable.
What steps do you or will you take to limit your family’s toxic exposure? Leave me a comment below.
Hi there! I'm Danielle, mom blogger, visionary and dreamer.
I'm on a mission to help moms create a Simply Pure life of Joy + Balance + Optimal Health & Wellness for ourselves and our families.
My goal is to un-complicate life and provide moms with the tools and strategies to make informed decisions so you can live your best mom life. .
Read more about the girl behind the blog here
Want to live Naturally? Click here for my FREE Natural Cleaning Guidebook