How to Embrace Motherhood and be a Happy Mom
How do some mom’s make it look so easy? Or do they just have a good poker face and they’re struggling like the rest of us?
Is it just me or do you ever feel like you’re running around like a chicken without a head? With 4 kids and everyone involved in different activities and commitments, it is difficult to keep up with it all.
I sat down with my handy dandy Bullet Journal and started writing down things that are working in my life and things I would like to get better at so I can live my best mom life.
Here’s what I came up with…
Top Tips to Living Your Best Mom Life and Embracing Motherhood to be a Happy Mom.
1. Be Present
When your spending time with your kids, don’t get distracted. Be completely present. When doing homework with my kids I used to cook dinner, respond to texts and emails, return phone calls, etc. Now it is my mission to be 100% completely focused and present during homework time and any other time I’m spending with my kids. I put my phone in another room or silence it to avoid temptation. When i’m spending time with my kids, I’m spending time with my kids. I’m not scrolling on Facebook or checking emails. I’m completely present.
2. Write it down
My mind often feels cluttered with information overload. It’s like a window’s browser with a thousand tabs open. Since getting my handy dandy Bullet Journal and Fancy Pens, I have been making lists, tracking my health and fitness, my kid’s health, schedules, plans, goals, gratitude and self reflection. I sit daily or as often as possible and just write. There is something so powerful about pen to paper. Since committing to writing things down, I am more focused and my head is clear.
3. Work smarter not harder
Invest in “things” that will make your life easier. I recently got an Instant Pot and Air Fryer and cooking healthy meals for my family has never been easier. Check out my post on Must have kitchen tools for the healthy mom.
I also recommend Amazon Echo devices for busy moms. Alexa helps me on a daily basis with shopping lists, to do lists, schedules, cooking tips, weather updates, movie showtimes and so much more. The possibilities are endless.
Find things that will make your mom life easier and make the investment.
Every weekend like clock work I sit down and plan for the upcoming week. I plan schedules for each family member, appointments, due dates, carpools and meals. It makes life sooooo much easier. I have used tons of planning systems but I never found one that I truly love so I created my own system that has everything I want and need in a planner. You can download it below.
5. Make you a priority
Taking time to do things just for you needs to be a priority. You don’t have to spend tons of time and money on yourself, but small steps of self care is equally as important as all of your other mom duties.
Here are some things you can do:
- Take a bath
- Go on a long walk
- Put in your earbuds with your favorite tunes and go for a long walk. Take a different route than you usually take. Be mindful of your surroundings and really embrace it using all of your senses.
- Since implementing Meditation into my life, I have become a much calmer, well balanced mom. Just 5-10 minutes of guided meditation a day makes a world of difference. There are many applications you can download to your smart phone. I use and really like Calm.
- Do yoga
- Yoga is great for mental health. It helps me feel grounded, centered and is a great stress relief. Both yoga and meditation taught me to be mindful and completely present in every situation.
- Read for pleasure
- Every time I get super busy with mom life, reading is the first to go. But when I read, I feel good. I’m less stressed, calmer and completely immersed in something that is pleasing just for me. Join or start a book club for an added bonus. It’s a great way to connect with people and build deeper relationships based on a common interest.
- Plan a night out or in with your man
- Get a sitter and plan a date night out or send the kids to a friends house or put them to bed early for a date night in. Planning special nights with your man doesn’t just happen, we need to make them happen. My goal is date night once a month.
- Girls Night
- Hanging with your girlfriends talking smack about your man and kids is a must. It’s a great way to let off some steam and to connect with other mom’s who are experiencing the same struggles as you.
6. Self Reflect
Self awareness is crucial to the success of anything we do. Whether it be professional or personal, self reflection should be a part of your life. I like to sit down with my handy dandy Bullet Journal and reflect. Here are some questions that I ask myself to help guide my reflection:
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- What are you good at?
- What are you struggling with?
- What are you happy with?
- What would you like to change?
After you dig deep and tap into your inner emotions, make a plan of action on how your going to turn the negatives into positives.
What are you going to do to change your weaknesses into strengths? Struggles into comforts? What is the outcome you would like to see? What actionable steps are you going to take to get there?
7. Practice Gratitude
Every night before bed or every morning when you wake up, write down a list of things that you are grateful for. It doesn’t have to take long. Some days I finish in 15 seconds other days I’ll spend 10 minutes writing down what I’m grateful for. Getting into the habit of focusing on the positives in life reduces anxiety and improves our mental health. It’s a simple yet very powerful practice. Start each entry with “Today I am grateful for…”
One day we will be looking back on the crazy days of life with kids and we will miss the hustle and bustle of mom life so embrace the chaos and live your best mom life.
What are some things you do to live your best mom life? Leave a comment below.
Hi there! I'm Danielle, mom blogger, visionary and dreamer.
I'm on a mission to help moms create a Simply Pure life of Joy + Balance + Optimal Health & Wellness for ourselves and our families.
My goal is to un-complicate life and provide moms with the tools and strategies to make informed decisions so you can live your best mom life. .
Read more about the girl behind the blog here
Want to live intentionally? Click here for my FREE Intentional Living mini course