Podcast episode 7 ~ Side hustles for moms and why every mom should have one
Episode 7 – Side hustles for moms and why every mom should have one
A side hustle is a side job that creates supplemental income. It’s an opportunity to monetize on something your most interested in without quitting your day job.
I strongly believe in my heart of hearts that all moms should have some kind of side hustle
Supplemental income is always valuable especially for moms.
It can be used as savings for the future or for a rainy da
It can be used to invest.
It can be used to enjoy the extra’s of life like family vacations or nice cars.
Or it can be used simply to make ends meet.
An extra stream of income is always beneficial no matter what your situation is.
Benefits of having a side hustle
- Back up plan – If there’s anything I learned over the past 40 years it’s that life can change in the blink of an eye. You never know what the future holds. A side hustle can set you up for success by creating a Plan B in case Plan A fails.
- Financial Freedom – The sky is the limit as to how much you can earn with your side hustle. The top multi level marketing earner earns 15 million dollars a year. Not too shabby.
- Time Freedom – How many people do you know that work 50, 60 and 70 hour work weeks? How many people don’t bring their work home with them or at least the stress of their work on a daily basis? What’s the point of working so hard if you don’t have the time to reap the benefits of all your hard work? Americans are overworked and overstressed. We are lacking balance in our lives. How long do you think this can go on before feeling burnt out?
- Make an impact in the world – What if you had a solution to a problem? Now imagine your solution can solve a problem for dozens of people, or hundreds, maybe even thousands of people. You can make in impact in the life of thousands of people just by doing what you are passionate about. You can be the change you want to see in the world. You can’t put a price tag on that.
- Tap into your creative energy – working a side hustle and making an impact in the world without the pressure of making ends meet allows you to get centered and tap into your natural creativity. It wasn’t until after starting my side hustle that I found a creative side that I never knew existed. I’m what you would call artistically challenged and I have went through my whole life believing this of myself. But creativity on the other hand, I am way (a little) more creative than I give myself credit for. This came to light when i started my blog.
- Be a role model – I love that my kids see me working my side hustles. They see that I’m passionate about what I do and I like making an impact in the mom community. Furthermore I want to show my kids that there is so much more to life than hustling and bustling, working a 9-5 job so someone else can get rich. I would love nothing more than for my kids to work for themselves without the stress and pressure of being business owners. I have little entrepreneurs in the making.
Side hustles for moms
1. Network Marketing
Network marketing aka MLM – multi level marketing, referral marketing or direct sales is selling products that you believe in to customers. It’s basically recommending products that you use, love and trust to family and friends and their family and friends. Network Marketing has become extremely popular especially with moms, because you have the ability to create your own schedule and on your own terms. You can work as much or as little as you’d like.
Bill Gates said if he was given a chance to start all over again, he would choose network marketing
There are many companies to choose from that align with your views and beliefs: skin care, nutrition, weight loss, leggings, essential oils, kids clothing, jewelry and cooking supplies just to name a few.
I think network marketing has caught a bad rap for two reasons
- It’s often viewed as a pyramid scheme
- because people are doing it all wrong.
Some companies may in fact be a pyramid scheme but that doesn’t mean that all mlm companies are pyramid schemes. Don’t let a few bad apples spoil it for the amazing companies that are genuinely trying to make a difference in the world. It’s important to do your homework before signing on with just any company.
Here are some things to consider when deciding which MLM company is a right match for you:
- Choose a company that has been around for at least 5 years.
- Believe in the products and the company. Their philosophy should align with your beliefs.
- Is there a genuine need for the product or service?
- Is training and support available?
- Does the company offer products or services that are unique?
People are doing it all wrong
Ignorance on fire
That’s the term used amongst new independent consultants just starting out and eager to share what they’re doing. Their lives have been impacted by this business they started and the products have been life changing for them so they want everyone to feel the same bliss they are feeling. But their approach is most likely all wrong and they may be doing the opposite of what they are intending to do – sending you running for the hills.
Just because you’ve received the same, cookie cutter texts inviting you to take a look at some new life changing products or you’ve been stopped by a friend who felt the need to tell you all about her new business venture and how it would be a great fit for you while you’re standing in the rain, leaving the supermarket, holding 18 bags of groceries in one hand and a screaming toddler in the other, doesn’t mean there’s no validity to it.
Just because the approach is all wrong doesn’t mean that these new products couldn’t change your life or this new business venture is exactly what you need in your life at that current moment.
When I first started my network marketing biz i was also ignorance on fire. I did it all wrong but I wanted everyone to feel the same passion about my new products and company that I found. I have learned a thing or two since and now I can rely on a steady stream of monthly income.
Don’t let a friend’s poor approach deter you from hearing them out. Listen with open ears and an open heart. You never know if this could be the change you were looking for. If you’re not interested, be courteous and reply honestly that it’s not for you but you wish them luck. If not chances are your name is going on the B list and you can bet your bottom dollar that they’ll be reaching back out to you.
2. Start a blog
Do you have an interest or a passion on a topic? If so you can start a blog. Blogging is flexible, satisfying and there is immense earning potential. All you need to start a blog is a computer and a domain name. There are quite a few free domains to choose from as you are just getting started. The more you write, the better you get, the more of an expert in your niche you become and the more followers you get. I have been blogging for a little over a year now and I have grown tremendously as a blogger. It is definitely one of the most satisfying things I have ever done. There’s nothing like getting an email from a complete stranger who lives on the other side of the world, saying that one of my blog posts has helped her. I am making an impact in the world and the rewards are sometimes overwhelming. Blogging started as a side hustle for me but has quickly become a full-time, in between momming 4 kids, hustle.
Top ways to monetize a blog:
- Affiliate marketing – You can become an affiliate for your favorite products and when you link to them in your post and a reader clicks through and buys the product, you make a commission at no additional cost to the buyer. Not all companies have affiliate programs and ones that do they all differ on commission. Amazon is the leading affiliate program because they have millions of products to choose from. I am an Amazon affiliate. I make a commission when readers click through my links and make a purchase.
- Ads – You can place ads on your blog and companies will pay you each time a reader clicks on the ad at no cost to you.
- Review products – You can reach out to different brands, request samples and write a review of the product and publish it on your blog. Companies will pay you.
- Sell your products – Do you make all natural, organic goat milk based soap? Or handmade doll clothes? You can sell your own products on your blog. You can set up a third-party plug-in that will help with payment and shipping of actual products.
- Create and sell digital products – As mom’s we are always looking for shortcuts that will optimize daily life – planners, calendars, meal plans, ebooks and so much more. The possibilities are endless in what you can create. Tap into your creative energy and think about what would help you as a mom. Chances are other’s have a need as well. I have sold digital products on my blog and I have purchased digital products from other blogs.
Do you make any speciality handmade or vintage items? If you don’t want to create your own website to see your products, you can sell them online through an e-commerce platform like Amazon, Ebay, Etsy, Shopify, Weebly and WooCommerce to name a few. I haven’t done this but my initial plan when I first started my blog was to sell my own products. My blog kinda took a different turn but selling your products on-line can be very rewarding. It’s a great way to monetize on your talent and passion while providing a service for people. People may need what you have to offer.
4. Teach online
According to Forbes, online learning will be a $325 billion dollar industry by the year 2025. People want to learn more and do more but they don’t have the time to commit to pursue their hopes, dreams and passions. This is where on-line courses come in. You can learn about pretty much any topic you want, while sitting in your pajamas and fuzzy socks at a time that is convenient for you.
If you have a talent and a passion for a specific niche, you can teach online. What are you good at? Baking? Cooking? Sewing? Playing an instrument? Art? Are you multilingual? Can you teach a dog to stand on its head while juggling three balls? You can monetize your talent and make an impact in the world. People are looking for what you have to offer.
Take QVC. It’s a multinational corporation specializing in interactive home shopping. It stands for Quality, Value andConvenience. This is what people are looking for today.
You can provide quality content, that will add value to people’s lives getting them from point A to point B in a way that is convenient to them through teaching them what you already know. And the bonus here is no topic is off limits. If you are interested in a specific topic, chances are so are other people.
I have taken and continue to take online courses. I strongly believe that Investing in ourselves is the best investment we can make. If we don’t invest in ourselves who will?
I have also taught online courses and it has been an amazing experience and something I plan on pursuing in the near future.
Check out my FREE mini course The Intentional Mom
There are quite a few platforms to host your on-line courses. I use and am partial to Teachable (this is my affiliate link). They offer amazing, free, on-line courses and tutorials to help you get started creating and launching your courses. They succeed when you succeed so they are invested in your success. They also have a great customer services team that are always available to answer your questions. Their motto is “Everything is teachable”.
5. Freelance writing
Do you have a natural knack for writing? If so you can write for companies and they will pay you. This is great side hustle for stay at home moms. You can create your own schedule and work as much or as little as you want.
I learned about freelance writing not too long ago and If i had learned about it a year ago before starting my blog, there’s no doubt in my mind that I would have jumped all over this. All’s you need is organizational skills, time management and a computer and you can start today.
To get started freelance writing you want to build a portfolio of a few pieces of content that you created. You can draft up a few pieces of your writing on google docs and either guest post on a blog or publish your work on a free blogging platform. If you’re interested in guest posting on Simply Pure Mama click here.
Once you have a few published pieces, you can start pitching to jobs and hen you are established companies will seek you out.
Share this Podcast to reach other moms who can benefit from hearing this message.
Be sure and subscribe to the Podcast on Soundcloud to get the latest episodes.
Do me a favor and rate this episode so I can reach other mom’s who can benefit from hearing this message.
I thank you for tuning in today and I wish you a beautiful day filled with love, peace and health.
Hi there! I'm Danielle, mom blogger, visionary and dreamer.
I'm on a mission to help moms create a Simply Pure life of Joy + Balance + Optimal Health & Wellness for ourselves and our families.
My goal is to un-complicate life and provide moms with the tools and strategies to make informed decisions so you can live your best mom life. .
Read more about the girl behind the blog here
Want to live intentionally? Click here for my FREE Intentional Living mini course