How To Make Homemade Bone Broth and Why You Should (Video Bonus)
Homemade Broth is a Superfood
Bone broth has a ton of health benefits and healing properties.
- It aides in digestion
- Reduces joint pain and inflammation
- It has high amounts of calcium and magnesium
- It helps maintain healthy skin, teeth and hair including strengthening tooth enamel
- Improves immune system and protects against cold and flu
What to do with Bone Broth
I add bone broth to any and every recipe I can get away with. I use it to make rice, quinoa, soups, stews and chili. It’s a great way to get the health benefits of the broth into your kids diets.
You and your kiddo’s can drink. A warm cup of bone broth is my first line of defense when anyone in my house so much as sniffles. It’s the “magic potion” that will keep us healthy.
How to make Bone Broth
- Bones from chicken, beef, pork, even fish just be sure the bones are from organic, grass fed or pastured animals. (I mostly use chicken bones that I save from previous meals. You can collect and freeze bones.)
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar – I like Braag’s Raw ACV
- 3 onions
- 3 carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 5 cloves of garlic
- Filtered water
- Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- Place bones in a sauce pot.
- Fill the pot with enough water to cover bones and vegetables, 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar and dash of sea salt – let it sit like this at room temperature for 30 – 60 minutes, as this pulls the nutrients out of the bones.
- Add vegetables – onions, carrots, celery, garlic and bring to a boil
- Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 18-24 hours
- Let the broth cool then strain. Add sea salt for added flavor
- Store in mason jars and let cool on your countertop before storing them in your refrigerator
- These can be kept refrigerated 5-7 days, or freezer for up to 6 months.
When I first started making bone broth, I made it in a crockpot. I didn’t feel comfortable leaving my stovetop on at night or when I wasn’t home so the crock pot was a safe alternative. I like bone broth in a crock pot but I find it’s too small.
To make bone broth in a crock pot follow same directions for sauce pot and cook on low for 18 – 24 hours.
The instant pot is a great way to make bone broth quickly.
Select the “Soup” button, set pressure to “low” and increase cook time to 120 minutes. Allow pot to depressurize naturally.
How do you make your bone broth? What recipes do you make with your broth? Leave me a comment below.
Check out how to make Master Tonic and how to use it to boost your immune system.
Simplify your BUSY Mom Life
Reduce stress and enjoy the small moments of life by having an organized system to keep track of it all
Success! Check your inbox for your planning pack
Hi there! I'm Danielle, mom blogger, visionary and dreamer.
I'm on a mission to help moms create a Simply Pure life of Joy + Balance + Optimal Health & Wellness for ourselves and our families.
My goal is to un-complicate life and provide moms with the tools and strategies to make informed decisions so you can live your best mom life. .
Read more about the girl behind the blog here
Want to live intentionally? Click here for my FREE Intentional Living mini course